Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Movie Day

Today's double header post-a-thon starts with movie reviews from
'Marathon Sunday 6.21.09'

The Hangover: With all the hype there was no way this movie was going to impress me. I believe in the standard 5-5 rating: you rate a movie out of 5 on pre-watching expectations and then on how it measured up. This was a solid 5-4! This movie hits close to home and I don't believe my crew is too far from matching these role models :). We have Iyer for Fat Jesus, Kunjal for whipped Allan and Jay for Phil (more because he demands this title and is being rewarded for watching it the 2nd time with me). Poor Justin and Adi miss out; and I get 0-personality Doug by PoE. Finally, a special mention for Carlos...cutest diva baby ever!

Boiler Room: What an overrated movie. Guys love the bravado and 1-lines sales pitches here; funny I agree but way unrealistic. I wouldn't buy free sunglasses from these dumbass kindergarten manipulators leave alone stocks. It's probably money greedy Madoff victims that identify with this flick. I'd hope my well to-do friend circle would seek more fulfilling jobs that adds some tangible, albeit debatable, value to society than hedging non-existent stocks. Ahem *DJ* Ahem...

Luck By Chance: This was a 2-5. What a shockingly amazing movie; perhaps the best I've seeing Hindi or English in eons. From the seemingly realistic portrayal of struggles wannabe film stars must face to the deep introspective definition on happiness and success each of us must grapple with to the amazingly eloquent diction of Farhan Akhtar and my new crush Konkana Sen Sharma (I'm so unsuperficial :)) this was awesome. WTH, she's engaged to Ranbir from 'Men in Slacks; Hey Aliens--take this' (Thanks Anik). The well incorporated cameos of each actor, the analysis of how outsiders make it into Bollywood by chance (ala Amitabh Bachan and SRK), and I repeat, the self-absorbed ambitious Farhan Akhtar and the loving Konkana who realises her independence coupled with the job she loves is true success (not to mention her spot on analysis of Farhan).....so awesome! I was enjoying every minute hoping it wouldn't end. It diverted me from my immense food coma induced pain (screw you and Saffron grill, Jay). I even did something I've never done hammered--kicked a live coal off my hookah near my couch and only discovered it the next morning along with the hole in my floor into my downstairs neighbors condo (slight exaggeration, Anik style...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luck_by_Chance

I hope I never spend another day watching 3 movies and eating like an ogre; but if I do the average movie quality can't be any better...

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha way to describe a typical day at casa Anika's :). Dont knock it, its a GREAT life. Plus i just checked and blobby and slobby is back in fashion :).

    I love the Konks too. She's one bong i respect, and well Rahul Bose, like duh. I liked the movie too, thought it was deep and very non bollywood, which is a great change. :)No Jai Ho number in it... which is always SUPER! How well has that Bawre song been shot? I loved it...

    Hey! I dont exaggerate! *avoiding eye contact*

    ReplyDelete
  2. We call it 'Jay Ho' now...thanks for being the one other person I can rely on to have real taste in cinema...

    ReplyDelete